Macular Degeneration Partnership (MDP) was created twenty years ago to provide information and tips for daily living for individuals with AMD.
- MDP traces its history to the Discovery Eye Foundation and Dr. Tony Nesburn, a second generation ophthalmologist practicing in Los Angeles. His father, Dr. Henry Nesburn, was diagnosed with AMD after a career of caring for patients with vision impairments.
- MDP was formed by grateful patients and family members. Using money raised from donations, MDP launched a website, newsletter, and toll-free warm line to educate people about AMD.
- In 2016, MDP became a part of the Gavin Herbert Eye Institute in Orange County, CA. This change shifted our focus to provide direct, hand-on support to the local AMD community through our low vision support group, while continuing to provide general information to a larger national audience.
- Our location, within an academic medical center, gives MDP a unique advantage. We offer support groups, information videos, community lectures, a dedicated patient navigator and a low vision rehabilitation program focused on the needs of the AMD community.
- We continue today to operate through the generosity of friends and donors who support our programs.